Monday, May 16, 2016

Make Me Over Again...Dresser Turned Vanity

Instead of purchasing a vanity for our bathroom we decided to transform an existing dresser. We knew that we wanted the bathroom to be mostly white, with a pop of color. So when it was time to makeover the dresser painting it white was the easy part. The dresser was primed and two coats of white paint was applied. Thanks Hubby!


You like?


When I first purchased the dresser it was beige and it was heavily stained. I think the previous owner must have been a smoker, (no offense smokers) so I painted it a rust color. I was hoping that the paint would cover the heavy staining, and absorb the unpleasant smell. Luckily for me it did both. This is actually one of the pieces I purchased from my friend John. You can read about John here. That's me standing on the bed trying to get a before pic of the dresser.



Unfortunately this is the only before pic that I have of  the cut out for the sinks. So you know what that means, I don't have any pics of the process. Sorry!


 
Once the cut outs were done I had no idea how I wanted to paint the top of the vanity. Well I didn't have to think too long because Hubby volunteered to paint it for me.
 


I loved the paint technique Hubby used on the vanity. The light grey brush strokes would be a wonderful addition to our mostly white bathroom. However, before the vanity was installed in it's permanent home, I noticed that the white paint didn't look so white anymore. The top of the vanity had begun to yellow and the culprit, old polyurethane. So, the Hubby would have to repaint the top of the vanity. UGH!!!




This pic and the one below is a close up of the top. Hubby decided he wanted to add more gray so I told him to "Go for it". Not to shabby if I must say so myself.



We opted to paint the vanity top since granite was not in our budget at the time. However, I do happen to  have my eye on a beautiful piece of grey and white granite, that would be just perfect for this space. I can't wait to get it!!!!

 
One of the things I love most about this vanity is, it has tons of space. Even though cut outs had to be made to accommodate the plumbing this piece can still house lots of stuff. And in the future I plan to organize/harness all of our clutter in cute little bins/containers, and share it with you in a later post. So Stay tuned!!!
 

So what do you think? Any dresser to vanity make overs in your future. I welcome your feedback. 
 
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Lory

6 comments:

  1. Love what you're doing in this bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It has taken quite some time to get to this point.

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! I love the paint technique on the top!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, the Hubby did a GREAT Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, I am fascinated by the outcome. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy Lou stay tuned, there's more to come!

      Delete