Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Foyer Chests Get a Makeover

In my last post I gave you a sneak peek of some of the pieces I planned to use in my foyer makeover. And after careful consideration I decided the chests would be the first things I would tackle. 



 
When I first bought the chests they were in desperate need of a makeover. So I gave them a fresh coat of paint, and I think they turned out pretty awesome!
 
 
This is how my foyer has looked for the past several years. And I really like how it looked, but it was time to do something different.
 
 
So my first order of business was to give the chest a coat of primer.
 In case you are wondering the turquoise seashell was instrumental in getting the ball rolling on this project. You will see the shell again on reveal day. (fuzzy pic sorry)


 
Next I gave the chest a coat of paint. The paint on the chest is a color that I mixed up myself. (sorry)
 
 
However the drawer and the legs of the chest are painted with essential teal by Behr. The weathered look on the doors was created by applying the teal color first. After the paint dried I applied the top coat (color on chest) by using a dry brush technique to get the look. Voila!
 
 
For the top of the cabinet I wanted to create the look of waves in the ocean. I did this by applying the essential teal and then lightly layering the custom color randomly over the teal color. This step required several layers. Also, I let the paint get almost dry before adding a new layer. Finally I created the wave affect by adding brushstrokes that mimic the pattern of waves.
 
 
 Here's the finished product. What do you think about my first Island inspired project? I think it's AWESOME!!
 
Have a FANTASTIC rest of the week!
 

Lory




 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment