Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Bromeliad Wall Sconce

Happy Summer Everyone, we are six months deep into 2014, and Summer is finally here! My to do list seemingly never shrinks, and there is always something going on around these parts. As I mentioned in the last post, I hosted a Luau and it turned out pretty okay. (no post for the luau yet) But I do want to share an oh so simple, easy breezy summer idea. To make a long story short, I wanted to hang wall sconces/lanterns for the Luau. I searched high and low, but to know avail the sconces were too pricey. I thought about hanging mason jars and adding tea lights for some ambiance, but I decided not too. Reason being, I wanted to do something different.  Since Bromeliads are plentiful  in my front yard, I decided I could do something with them. But what?  So I put my thinking cap on and came up with an idea for a sconce, a Bromeliad Sconce that is! KEEP READING......


This is how the Bromeliads look when they aren't in bloom. I had the Hubs to pull several of the plants from their bed and afterward, he rinsed the plants off and placed them in a shady spot to dry. Didn't want any uninvited guests at the party.

 

 After the Bromeliads dried, (6 total) I simply stapled them to the post/wall. Unfortunately, there was only one flower that had a bloom, so I did the next best thing. I filled the flower with artificial stems. Drum Roll Please.......

 VOILA!  
Enjoy the pics!
 







So what do you think? I absolutely love the sconces. They were a big hit with the guests as well.

 Happy Summer Y'all!!!!

Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. I love your DIY sconces and what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dee, they were a big hit at the Luau. Have a Great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a creative idea, Lory! They came together beautifully. How awesome that you have so many plants growing in your yard. I've bought them from the garden center in the past and they never seem to last long. Any tips?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brandi, I really don't do anything special to the bromeliads. They are air plants and they need very little care. I started out with only a few plants and they have multiplied tremendously. No need to plant just find a sunny spot in your yard and place the bromeliads there. They should take care of themselves. I would be more than happy to send you a few. I hope this helps. Have a GREAT week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lovely decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, and have a GREAT week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Top for helping pull the Luau off, I had a great time!

      Delete
  8. They were absolutely BEAUTIFUL Lory. I always say it's so amazing what you do. I and the other ladies had a great time as well at the Luau. Be Blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They were just BEAUTIFUL Lory. I always say it's so amazing what you do. I, and the other ladies, had a wonderful time at the Luau as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly gorgeous images. You have a green thumb for sure! Thank you for your kindness and friendship.

    ReplyDelete