Monday, May 20, 2013

My Story


Hi all, today is my Birthday, (happy birthday to me) so I figured this would be a great time to share my design story. 

I have been fascinated with interior decorating/design since childhood. My first encounter with design was the animal print sofa I saw on the television series Green Acres. I can still remember the first time I saw it. That sofa stopped me in my tracks, and in a word it was AWESOME! Afterwards, I faithfully watched Green Acres hoping to get another look at that gorgeous piece of furniture.

My next encounter with decorating /design, Summer Chores. ugh! My Dad was a construction worker, and he worked very long hours. So it was up to my Mom and her five girls to keep our home in tip top shape. We cleaned house, washed windows, mowed the lawn, planted flowers/vegetables, and last but not least we painted the house, more than once. I was the youngest of the group and my job was to paint the trim/eaves. And I hated every minute of it. Going up and down the later drove me nuts, and to make matters worse my older siblings  were hanging out under the oak tree, in the shade. (imagine that)

Fast forward several years later, I got married and let's just say hubby's house was in need of lots of TLC. So we rolled up our sleeves and went to work. We painted, hung paneling, turned a junk room into a laundry/playroom, installed ceiling fans, enclosed the front porch, and the list went on and on. But after five years and several projects later it was time to move on, from our 2 bed 1 bath cozy home. Our family had increased by one and we needed more space. (sorry no pics)

Our next home was a 3 bed 2 bath home approximately 1900 square feet. No fixer upper here, it was brand spanking new. We actually thought we were top dogs, we could turn around in this home, without having to go outside. ha ha ha! Anyhooo, I had a BLAST decorating and making it our own.( pics below)






Eleven years had elapsed since we purchased this home, but now it was time to say good bye to yet another home. We had out grown this home as well. Now we were a family of four. We started looking for a house in June of that year and by October, we had found our dream home. The house, a custom built two story ranch boasts double the square footage of our previous home and it had everything we wanted and more. But did I mention?  It was a FIXER UPPER!!! And that's precisely what we have been doing since we moved in, FIXIN UP! Sorry no before pics, but my neighbors/realtor can vouch for me.


When we moved in the exterior was a faded green stain. There wasn't a stitch of grass in the yard, and the shrubs and trees were all over grown. But the worst part of all, this home had a rotted wood thatched roof. (go figure)


We tackled the landscape first, and there was enough debris to fill up two dump trucks. The sprinkler system was broken, so that was the next order of business. Once the sprinklers were fixed we were well on our way to having green grass. I could go on and on about our adventures in this home, but I won't. It has taken several years to get our home to this point, and we still have a long to do list, but we are pleased with what we have accomplished thus far.




I started this blog in August of 2012, because I had driven my husband and son Krazy with all my decorating mayhem. And to chronicle the process of our house being transformed, from what my neighbors referred to, as  "THE HAUNTED HOUSE". It is my hope that this blog will inspire, motivate and encourage you to create the home, that you want to live in! without spending a fortune! 

Thanks for stopping by!
2 your home,
Lory

7 comments:

  1. Lory, I remember that red car (LOL)....Ain't God good. The things we learn as we keep it moving through life. Happy Birthday to Ya, Happy Birthday to Ya, Happy Birthdayyyyyy, (Prentend like Stevie Wonder just sung that to ya). Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy Lou, I really did like my Mazda 323. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Lory! Your house is beautiful. I love all your pretty flowers. You and your husband did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brandi, we really like our home too. I am searching high and low for the before pics. When I find them I will post them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lory,

    I thought you'd appreciate knowing that one of the two sofas made for the TV show sits in our living room - we just had it refurbished! My partner's grandmother was a designer and we're not sure how she ended up with up but we know it's definitely from the show. We changed a few of the design patterns on the foot but kept the leopard print focal points the cushions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi unknown That is so awesome and thanks for sharing that info. I would really like to see a picture of the updates that were done to it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Hi Lory,

    I thought you'd appreciate knowing that one of the two sofas made for the TV show sits in our living room - we just had it refurbished! My partner's grandmother was a designer and we're not sure how she ended up with up but we know it's definitely from the show. We changed a few of the design patterns on the foot but kept the leopard print focal points the cushions.

    ReplyDelete